A sunroom is a great way to add additional space to your home. It creates an extra room for entertaining and relaxing and offers an “indoor-outdoor” environment where you can get the benefits of being outside without the cold, rain, or snow (especially in the winter in Northern Virginia this year!).
To help you plan for your upcoming project, we've outlined average sizes and features, pricing, resale value, and design tips for the Washington Metro area.
What does a typical sunroom entail?
- 200-square-foot sunroom addition
- Include footings and slab-on- grade foundation
- Post-and-beam framing exposed on interior side
- Wall glazing: vinyl or aluminum clad awning and casement windows with low-E, laminated or Tempered glazing and screens
- Roof glazing: 10 large aluminum-clad venting skylights with screens
- Provide ceiling fan
- Insulate all non-glass areas
- Provide movable shades for glass area
- Quarry tile or equal on floor
Average Cost*: $73,546
Average Resale Value*: $38,011
How long will it take to complete?
8 to 10 weeks is a common estimate to complete a project of this size. However, this time fluctuates depending on the specifics your project.
Sunroom Design Tips
- Use materials that match your home. You want to make sure that your sunroom adds to your home without looking like a completely different part of it. This applies to exterior and interior spaces. Be sure to match your materials.
- Use long-lasting materials. While you may be tempted to use plastics, aluminum or foam panels, and vinyl, they may not be the most sustainable. Consider using materials like wood, granite, and ceramic tile.
- This is an obvious one: incorporate lots of windows into your design. The objective of the room is to let as much natural light in as possible, and this ensures a warm, open space.
- Consider having your sunroom be an open extension of the space you currently have. Rather than creating a small doorway (making it a separate space), keep in mind the idea of an “open concept,” which will help integrate the spaces.
*These statistics were referenced from Remodeling Magazine's 2014 Cost Vs. Value Report and are averages from the Washington Metro area. As to be expected, your project requirements and costs may vary depending on your project.
Planning a similar project?
Richard Lensis, the President of Lensis Builders, Inc., has written a free eBook for homeowners just like you. Learn the must-know "Six Steps to a Successful Addition or Large Remodel".
About Lensis Builders, Inc.
Lensis Builders, Inc. is a build/design firm proudly serving the Northern Virginia area. We specialize in kitchen and bath design and remodeling, additions, whole house remodels, home energy and comfort solutions, porches, garages, and more. Our firm works closely with you to design and build the house of your dreams. We are passionate about building and remodeling and have been helping homeowners “love where they live” for 20 years.
If you live in the Northern Virginia area and would like to know how Lensis Builders, Inc. can make your home even better, give us a call at 703-367-8999.