Whether you are looking into getting a new car, a new pair of jeans, or a new kitchen or bath, it is beneficial to be an informed consumer. When you are taking on a remodeling project, be sure to come prepared to any meeting with a list of questions. Some will be personal to you regarding your project goals and budget, but many are important, standard questions. Here are a few recommendations:
Image via Design Sponge
For A Potential Contractor:
- How long has your company been in business?
- Do you belong to professional associations? If so, which ones?
- Have you recently completed any projects that are similar to mine?
- Is you company licensed and/or registered to work in this region?
- Do you use subcontractors? If so, are they licensed to work in this region?
- Can you provide references? Would those references be comfortable with having visitors view their completed project? If not, are photos of the project available?
- If you do speak to a reference, consider asking the following: Are you satisfied with your finished product? Was the project completed within its projected timeline? Were you happy with how the designer/contractor communicated with you throughout the project? Overall, would you recommend this designer/contractor?
- Who will be working in my home throughout the project?
For A Potential Designer:
- What's your design philosophy? (For example, are you focused on practicality or aesthetics or a combination of the two)?
- Have you worked projects like this before?
- Do you have references and/or photos to share? Do you have a portfolio to share?
- What licenses/certifications do you have?
- How will we share information about the design of my project? How should I let you know what aesthetics I like most? (For example, via Pinterest and other design websites like Houzz).
- I have specific ideas about the design elements I am looking for. Are they feasible within my budget?
If you live in the Northern Virginia area and you’re interested in a free estimate, or would like to know how Lensis Builders, Inc. can make your home even better, give us a call at 703-367-8999 or fill out a short contact form. If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project, visit our Pinterest page.