Today, home office space has become a priority for many individuals. Between managing home-based businesses, telecommuting, managing personal finances, and having a space for children to do homework, the home office has many functions. Like every space, planning for it requires some thought about what you plan to use it for. Here are some possible functions for your home office:
- It may serve as a home base for someone who also has office space, so work can be done during non-office hours or time sensitive situations can be solved at home.
- Work area for an employee who telecommutes (full or part time).
- A space for a home-based business, which may or may not require that additional employees use the space.
- It can be used as a space to settle household finances (personal bills, tax returns, etc.).
- It may be a study area for children and/or adults.
We also recommend that you keep in mind the following considerations:
- How many people will use the office space at a time?
- Does the room need to be quiet and/or private? If so, your office space should be a separate room that is away from noisy rooms like a living room or kitchen.
- Do you need to plan for shelves, filing cabinets, and closets? What kind of furniture will you need space for?
- How large of a work area will you need? Will you require a table or something smaller like a desk?
- Consider what electronic equipment you'll need (e.g., computers, telephones, printers, and copiers).
- Will your home office double as another room? For example, you may have another living space with couches, chairs, etc.
These questions should help you narrow down exactly what the function of your home office is. From working full time from home to using a home office for strictly personal reasons, it can provide a comfortable work space right in your home.
If you live in the Northern Virginia area and you’re interested in a free estimate, or would like to know how Lensis Builders, Inc. can make your home even better, give us a call at 703-367-8999 or fill out a short contact form. If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project, visit our Pinterest page.