Fortunately, in Northern Virginia the climate and seasons offer an ideal place to spend time connecting with friends and family - and it's right in your backyard. Outdoor spaces like decks, porches, large lawns, and patios are optimal for entertaining or just relaxing, and a well designed patio or yard can be an extension of your home's existing living space. Here are some considerations to keep in mind when creating an outdoor space.
1. Use lots of windows, as the visual expanse of an outdoor living space (like a deck or patio) will make the interior seem larger.
2. An advantage of adding outdoor space to your home is that the view, even of just your backyard, can make being indoors more enjoyable psychologically.
3. Be mindful of traffic flow from indoors to outdoors, allowing easy paths to transition to each space.
4. By adding furniture to a deck, porch, or patio, you can likely double your space for entertaining and daily living.
5. Consider adding electrical wiring on the outside of your home - for lighting or plugging in your computer or tablet (optimal if you work from home).
6. Finally, outdoor spaces may include many amenities including:
- Comfortable, well-designed furniture
- Architectural features like columns and roofed porches
- Flooring materials like slate, concrete, or a wood deck
- Pool and/or whirlpool spa
- Cooking area (kitchenette, grill, refrigerator, and/or sink)
- Potted plants and/or gardens to integrate the space into your yard
If you live in the Northern Virginia area and you’re interested in a free estimate, or would like to know how Lensis Builders, Inc. can make your home even better, give us a call at 703-367-8999 or fill out a short contact form. If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project, visit our Pinterest page.