Deciding whether to remodel an older home or build a new home is a huge decision. Both require time, effort, and financial contributions. This is especially relevant in Northern Virginia, an area that is fortunate to have so many older, historical homes. Making this decision can be tricky, so here are some important points about each decision.
- You can choose location yourself.
- You are part of the design process, which allows for an entirely unique and customized space.
- You will use new materials, which will likely last longer and require less upkeep.
- You won't be living in the space during construction (something that usually occurs during a remodeling project).
- Costs for new construction tend to be higher when compared to buying an existing structure.
- Estimates provide a general timeframe, but this timeframe is typically longer than anticipated.
- Traveling to the site of the new construction can take up a lot of time, especially if it's in a location that is not near your current home.
- You avoid relocating, which means you will cut down on potential travel costs (time and money).
- Changes in the home can be completed gradually rather than all at once. You might want to remodel your kitchen one year, your bathroom the following year, and so on.
- It can be less costly than new construction, but this varies.
- Most remodeling projects will not dramatically impact the entire living space of your home.
- On the other hand, having any construction (no matter how small) in your home can be frustrating.
- Original features of the home can be restored and preserved while upgrades are made.
- Older buildings tend to yield "surprises" - a load bearing wall you didn't know about, mold, etc.
There are apparent advantages to both remodeling and new construction. As always, it is important to set goals and evaluate your and your family's needs. There is no right choice, but there is a choice that makes the most sense to you.
If you live in the Northern Virginia area and you’re interested in a free estimate, or would like to know how Lensis Builders, Inc. can make your home even better, give us a call at 703-367-8999 or fill out a short contact form. If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project, visit our Pinterest page.