It's that time of year again - the fall is a great time to make some updates to your home. In preparing for winter, making small changes will take you a long way. Here are our suggestions for easy changes and updates you can do right now.
1. Inspect and clean your gutters and downspouts.
2. Have your roof inspected to make sure there isn't any damage. Having a damaged roof during the winter months can cause lots of problems, so it's best to have them taken care of now.
3. Since you'll be turning the heat on soon, be sure to clean and/or replace dirty filters in your furnace.
4. Additionally, we recommend having your heating system inspected. The colder months create the opportunity for heat to escape your home easily. If your house is "leaky," you're wasting heat when you turn it on. An energy audit can make your home more comfortable (and it lowers your utility bills!).
5. Seal cracks and gaps around doors and windows around your home. You can use weather stripping and/or caulk, and this can help keep warm air inside and cold air outside.
6. If you have a fireplace, make sure you don't have any soot buildup. You may want to have it professionally inspected in order to reduce the risk of a dangerous situation.
7. Evaluate your sidewalks, driveway, porch, deck, and any other areas with heavy foot traffic. Be sure to have any damage repaired to prevent accidents.
8. Test and clean all of the smoke detectors in your home.
9. Flip your matteress(es). If you can't flip it over, rotate it 180 degrees. One tip for cleaning mattresses is sprinkling baking soda on top, and then vaccuuming it up.
10. Check that your snow equipment is working properly before the first snowfall. We recommend organizing your tools, such as shovels, roof rakes, and snow blowers so they're easily accessible.
If you live in the Northern Virginia area and you’re interested in a free estimate, or would like to know how Lensis Builders, Inc. can make your home even better, give us a call at 703-367-8999 or fill out a short contact form. If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project, visit our Pinterest page.