With laundry being a daunting task to begin with, there is nothing worse than a laundry room (or lack thereof) that doesn't meet your needs. Maybe your laundry isn't conveniently located in your home, the space is too small, or you don't have enough storage. Regardless of your circumstances, there's always room for improvement. Here are a few of our tips for a comfortable and practical laundry room in your home.
1. Cabinets should contain shelves high enough to house laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and other frequenly used products.
2. Consider adding counter space for folding clothes and a closet or rod for hanging permanent press clothing.
3. Most laundry rooms contain an ironing board. We recommend a built-in ironing board, as it is allows you to save a lot of space and it is easily accessible.
4. Include drawers and cabinets for storage (keeping clothes, towels, products, and other items tucked away).
5. We love the idea of a laundry room that doubles as a mudroom. If you choose to create a laundry room/mudroom, it may include closets or lockers for coats, winter gear, and sports equipment (perfect for winter months especially).
In addition to these recommendations, laundry rooms can be located in numerous places around your home. Here are some of the best options:
- Near the kitchen
- On the first floor (you can include a clothes drop, which empties into a cabinet above the washer and dryer)
- In the basement
- In the bedroom wing of the house (near a family bathroom)
- Bathroom (not ideal, but sometimes a great option in smaller homes)
If you live in the Northern Virginia area and you’re interested in a free estimate, or would like to know how Lensis Builders, Inc. can make your home even better, give us a call at 703-367-8999 or fill out a short contact form. If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project, visit our Pinterest page.